Re: st: installation in Amazon EC2

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: installation in Amazon EC2
Date   Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:55:15 -0500

Nick Wilson ([email protected]) asked about using Stata on Amazon's
cloud:
> I would like to use Stata in the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).  Does
> anyone have instructions or advice on how to install and use Stata in EC2?

I am not sure if Nick's question is a simple one or a complicated one.

I can answer the simple question right away:  Amazon lets you have
Linux or Windows "computers" in their cloud, and you can install Stata
on one of those "computers" just as you would on any other computer
with the given operating system.  You simply copy the installation
files to the cloud computer and install it the same as you would as if
the computer were in your office or as if it were a server in the room
next door.

Nick might be asking a more complicated question, however, which would
involve making use of the power of Amazon EC2 to launch multiple
virtual machines each running Stata perhaps for some sort of large-scale grid
computing task or perhaps for back-end analytics as part of some large
system.  This sort of setup would lead to other questions about both
technical issues and licensing issues.  If something like this is what
Nick has in mind, or even if it is the simple case above, he can contact
Stata Technical Services at [email protected], where we can provide
him with advice based on his particular scenario.

Alan