Re: st: upper limit on fweights? overflowing into missing values?

To   [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: upper limit on fweights? overflowing into missing values?
Date   Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:53:39 -0500

Just to sum up my current thinking/guesses on this:

* the maximum number of observations in Stata is 2,147,483,647
* Nonetheless, fweighted data sets can have more observations than that
* However, not all routines will work when the fweighted data has more than 2,147,483,647 cases. You can do some simple descriptive things, but you can't do more complicated things like regression or correlations. * As to why that is, I am guessing that some routines have the 2,147,483,647 limit hardcoded in. Or, maybe there just isn't enough precision to handle calculations when the N is larger than that. * Given that most people don't have more than 2,147,483,647 cases (and even if they did, their computer memory couldn't handle them) StataCorp probably hasn't spent a lot of time worrying about this. * Still, an added sentence or two in the fweights documentation or elsewhere warning about limits might be a good idea.

I am curious what the original author is doing that requires analyzing 4 billion+ cases. Some sort of genetic research maybe? I've certainly never heard of any kind of Survey research having an N that large.