Re: st: Sampling without replacement?

From   Lucas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Sampling without replacement?
Date   Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:57:07 -0700

Hi,

How did you obtain the 1,000 heads-of-households?  In sampling without
replacement you select household 1 (the Smith household), set it
aside, then select household 2 (the Jones household), and so on.  In
sampling with replacement you select household 1 (the Torvald
household), note that, put it back in the population, then select
household 2 (which could be either the Debian household OR the Torvald
household), and so on.

Which did you do?  That will determine whether you sampled with or
without replacement, not who ends up in the sample.  It is possible to
sample with replacement and still have 1,000 unique households in the
sample of 1,000.

HTH
Sam