Re: st: zero-inflated analyses: when do you decide that is zero-inflated?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: zero-inflated analyses: when do you decide that is zero-inflated?
Date   Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:36:17 -0400

Dear Cris.

I don't think that outcome variable is a candidate for being Poisson
or negative binomial, either zero-inflated or not.  Both the Poisson
distributions and the negative binomial distributions assign positive
probability to all nonnegative values, not just 0 through 4.  Both of
those families of distributions have truncated versions, but the
process underlying your data doesn't look like it involves truncation.

Your outcome variable is a legitimate numerical variable, but people
sometimes use an ordinal logit model for such data when the number of
values is small.

Would it be appropriate to look at the association(s) among the
positives on the 4 tests?  If positive reactions to the 4 allergens
were unrelated (i.e., independent), you could predict the numbers of
positives on the 4 from the marginal probabilities of a positive
reaction to the individual allergens.  It may be instructive to list
the 16 possible combinations and their frequencies in your data.

David Hoaglin