Re: st: MP running no faster than IC

From   Ted Player <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: MP running no faster than IC
Date   Mon, 8 Jul 2013 22:09:28 -0600

The benchmark tests I originally described were conducted on a local
machine.  I did a follow-up with an EC2 machine (as described
elsewhere in this thread).

I see now that buried on p. 231 of Stata's MP performance report is
the mention that to get the improvements that Stata claims for
regression requires a single regression model with 180 regressors and
a dataset with 1,500,000 observations.  I usually do things like
bootstrap analyses on datasets with 500 observations, so I guess MP
isn't any more useful to me than SE.

It looks like I fell for the advertising hype on
http://www.stata.com/statamp .  It's my fault for thinking Stata
wouldn't overclaim to make their software seem better than it really
is.  Live and learn I guess!