Re: st: MP running no faster than IC

Subject   Re: st: MP running no faster than IC
Date   Mon, 8 Jul 2013 23:42:38 -0400

Dear Ted, I've witnessed many times that MP works much faster the IC.
The figures in the report do make sense. No looking at your example:
the only parallelizable part here is the "regress mpg weight gear
foreign." Two things to notice immediately are the following:

1) the dataset contains 74 observations. The overhead of parallelizing
it into 12 CPUs or even 4 CPUs is large relative to the size of the
task at hand. You are likely to see the benefits of parallelization
when you -expand- your dataset, say 1000000 (10^6) times and perhaps
reduce the number of bootstrap iterations.

2) the dataset contains 74 observations. So the _regress command
(internal) takes, say, 0.00001second and with parallelization takes
may be 0.000001 second, but then you have 2 seconds of writing the
output to the screen and scrolling the output window.  That is not
parallelized (correct me if I am wrong), though scrolling seems to
work much faster in recent versions (THANKS!) So, try disabling the
output with -quietly- and you will see more performance gain from MP.

3) finally, Stata's ado files seem to not be parallelizable (you don't
write them that way), but only internal commands are. There have been
some changes in the most recent versions and the idea is to permit the
users to write parallel code. I am yet to see these facilities, but it
makes no sense to test parallelization benefits on do/ado code or
where such code executes for a significant amount of time. This is
also a reason while there is no need to separately benchmark bootstrap
commands.

To summarize the above, try the following commands on LARGE datasets
(occupy e.g. half of your memory with data):
mlogit - you should see performance increase about 3 times on a 12
CPUs MP vs 1CPU IC.
summarize - you should see about 11-fold performance increase on a
12CPUs MP vs 1CPU IC

Run tests on a local machine. Perhaps it's the Amazon that is to blame
(I don't mean it). Some hosters limit your TOTAL computing power, so
you can get 128 cores with the same total performance as 1 core. Then
you are better of with a single CPU license of course :)

Hope this helps.
Best, Sergiy Radyakin