Re: st: Updates to SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Updates to SSC
Date   Fri, 5 Jul 2013 17:26:50 +0100

Several valuable details here, but just to note that

1. Many of us use long out-of-date Windows systems for a variety of
reasons, many very good.

2. Kit could give a long, long list of people writing puzzled emails
to him because they don't understand enough to use their browsers to
install programs in the right place. The issue is not whether or not
it's "safe"; the issue is that the process is too complicated for many
users to (want to) grapple with (manifestly not yourself).

3. It's an excellent point that by choice or necessity people often
don't use Stata to first access information about SSC packages; but I
submit that it's an equally excellent point that the vast majority of
users are better served by learning to use -ssc-. -ssc- understands
SSC and Stata; your browser is stupid about both and requires you to
make up the difference. So I think that Stata makes it as easy as
possible for most people (modulo firewalls, which are beyond Stata's
control, naturally) to go

ssc inst foo

I'm quietly (*) proud that Kit and I wrote the first version of the
-ssc- command as a convenience tool to help people access user-written
stuff on SSC.

(*) With this email, not so "quietly".