Re: st: graph combine of tabplot graphs: uncomparable bar heights

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: graph combine of tabplot graphs: uncomparable bar heights
Date   Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:22:24 +0100

-tabplot- is from SSC. You are asked to explain where user-written
programs you use come from.  Otherwise you waste the time of anyone
who thinks "That sounds interesting" but then can't find -tabplot- on
their system because it has not been installed. The small point of
giving credit to whoever wrote it I leave on one side. This is all
explained in the FAQ you were asked to read before posting.

The underlying problem is that -tabplot- internally uses a scale that
is only indirectly unrelated to the numbers being shown. In a case
like

sysuse auto
tabplot foreign rep78 , showval

the highest bar is drawn between y = 2 and y = 2.8. If the highest bar
had been on the bottom row it would have been drawn between y = 1 and
y = 1.8. This is regardless of what the highest bar represents. -graph
combine- can only align x and y coordinates; it won't restructure the
graphs internally. Similarly -yscale()- can have no effect here,
because scaling has already taken place. In fact it could not be
otherwise.

Much of the effort of -tabplot- goes into using the space available as
effectively as possible. The default is to leave 20% vertical space
between the height of the tallest bar and the line above (or
correspondingly if the bars are aligned horizontally).

You have I think two choices. One is to choose a -height()- option
separately for each graph so that the values come out as you want when
you combine them.

The second is to restructure your data, so that you use a -by()-
option as well with -tabplot-. Then the bars in each panel will be
drawn on the same scale.

On 28 June 2013 11:34, Brunelli Cinzia
<[email protected]>  [edited]