Re: st: Missing observations

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Missing observations
Date   Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:53:36 -0400

One answer to the question "What is not clear about this?" is "Almost
everything."  The people who are trying to help are groping in the
dark, because we do not know enough about the data and the aims of the
analysis.

"9 variables" suggests that the data are 9 measures on the same units
(corporations?  mutual funds?), in which some measures are missing on
some (even many) units.  OTOH, "1-yr raw return 'group'" suggests that
each variable contains data on a separate group (i.e., a particular
unit belongs to exactly one group).  These are completely different
types of data, usually analyzed in different ways.  I do not
immediately see time series, as Nick did; that is yet another type of
data.

We do not know what form your data take, so we are trying to guess.
You know your data, and you are trying to puzzle out how our
suggestions could apply to your data (though they may not be
applicable).  This process is very inefficient for all concerned
(count the messages in this thread, and ask how much progress has been
made).

Please describe the data and the aim of the analysis in enough detail
that we can at least understand the problem.  If the actual details
are sensitive and cannot be shared, please describe an equivalent set
of data that does not have such restrictions.

David Hoaglin