Re: st: Testing interaction terms / mutually exclusive variables

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Testing interaction terms / mutually exclusive variables
Date   Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:18:29 -0400

Verena,

If I may ask an ignorant question, in what way does -test- not take
into account the fact that the two dummy variables are mutually
exclusive?  (I do not have Stata documentation handy.)  If the two
dummy variables are in the same regression model, the covariance
matrix of the estimated coefficients reflects that structure.  Can you
use -lincom- after the regression command?  I do not yet understand,
however, why you would need -lincom-.  The usual output from a
regression includes a confidence interval for each coefficient, and
the test of whether the coefficient is zero is equivalent to asking
whether zero is in the confidence interval.

If those two dummy variables are also exhaustive, one of them may be
considered part of the definition of the intercept.  Then the
coefficient of the other dummy variable will be the estimated
difference between the two categories (i.e., the additional intercept
for the second category).

David Hoaglin