stacked area graphs [was: Re: st: staked area graph]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   stacked area graphs [was: Re: st: staked area graph]
Date   Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:26:27 +0100

-catplot- (SSC) is dedicated to (cross-classified) categorical data
and cannot help you much here, except that you could use the code to
work out how to get percents.

I don't gather from this precisely what is proving difficult for you,
but the main issue I would see as some preliminary data management to
get data in suitable form.

Here is a worked example:

webuse nlswork, clear
tab race
contract race year, zero
bysort year (race) : gen _percent = sum(_freq)
by year : replace _percent = 100 * _percent/_percent[_N]
reshape wide _percent _freq, i(year) j(race)
gen _percent0 = 0
levelsof year, local(years)

twoway rarea _percent0 _percent1 year || ///
rarea _percent1 _percent2 year || ///
rarea _percent2 _percent3 year, ///
legend(order(1 "white" 2 "black" 3 "other")) xla(`years')

Although people often want to produce such graphs, in practice they
are very difficult to get to work well. It is difficult to show the
smaller fractions, and especially _changes_ in the smaller fractions,
at all effectively. It is also difficult to get a legend to work well.
This example is one I would never want to use, except negatively.

-tabplot- from SSC is what I would use here.