Re: st: getting user-written commands presented at Stata user meetings?

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: getting user-written commands presented at Stata user meetings?
Date   Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:18:54 +0200

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Ariel Linden, DrPH  wrote:
> I happened to come across this presentation that was given at the UK Stata
> user meeting.
>
> www.timberlake.co.uk/common/pdf/stata-uk-12-ugm/uk12_dorn.pdf
>
> Interestingly enough, I cannot find the actual command -pscore2- that this
> presentation describes (nor can I find the contact information for the
> author). My questions are both general and specific:
>
> (1) General: is there an expectation that a command presented at a Stata
> users meeting would be made available to the public?

My expectation is that commands presented at Stata Users' Meetings are
likely to be made public, but that there can be good reasons why that
might not happen. One legitimate way of participating in such meetings
is to discuss work in progress, so you can get feedback at a point in
the process where it is most useful. This may mean that later on you
find a fatal error and decide not to publish after all. This happend
to me once. Alternatively, other projects, that are more rewarded in
the academic system, may take precedence.

> Similarly, why would
> there be no contact information for the author? That is, unless they do not
> want to be contacted.

That is for some disciplines common, for others not. In the latter
case, there is typically the assumption that the contact information
is present in the program, and putting it on the slides as well would
appear too self-promoting.

> (2) Specific: How do I actually get hold of -pscore2-? I went through the
> usual channels in Stata (findit) as well as a google search...

This seems to be the person:

http://www.cae.ethz.ch/people/dsabrina

Hope this helps,
Maarten