st: upper quartile selection for multiple groups

From   Maria Sokolova <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: upper quartile selection for multiple groups
Date   Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:18:43 +0200

I have the following question:
I have big (very big) panel data, for which I need to create dummies
representing the belonging to the top 5% (or 10%) per each categorie.
I have too high number of categories (over 1000) to do it manually.
what I see I am aiming for:
gen dummy=0
bys var1 categ: replace dummy1=1 if sharecateg>=p95(sharecateg)

I have calculated the shares per each observation, but cannot set the
automatic selection of the percentiles.
Best regards and thanks ahead for help,
Maria

--