Re: st: How to fill in the missing data

Subject   Re: st: How to fill in the missing data
Date   Mon, 10 Jun 2013 01:27:03 -0400

Alexis, in your approach when you impute the weight you have a risk of
carrying the weight of one patient to the next one, if the first
measurement is missing for the second patient (your last line
disregards ID). So unless it is known that the first measurement of
weight is always present, (and we see from the provided example it is
not the case) this method would create very incorrect results.

Wong, are your datapoints such that each patientid-age combinations
are unique? or do you sometimes see same patient twice within a year?
(then be careful even with the -sort- statement).

It sounds like interpolation is likely needed here since the intervals
of missing observations are of different size and weight probably
changes smoothly with age. But it shouldn't be difficult.

Best, Sergiy