st: RE: GMM estimation: restricting parameter estimates

Subject   st: RE: GMM estimation: restricting parameter estimates
Date   Wed, 5 Jun 2013 10:49:00 +0000

Markus,

(Apologies to you and list if someone has already answered.)

You could try a variation on a trick that is sometimes used in code to restrict the range of parameter values.  Instead of estimating a and b you could estimate 1/a and 1/b.  Or some other function that prevents Stata (not "STATA" btw) from deciding on exact zeros as solutions.

For an example of how official Stata code does something similar, have a look at the manual entry for -heckman- and in particular the discussion of how rho is estimated.

HTH,
Mark

> Thank you.
>
> Markus

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.