Re: st: Controling precision for multiple runs of same code (out of office until12th June)

From   "Seyi Soremekun" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Controling precision for multiple runs of same code (out of office until12th June)
Date   Tue, 04 Jun 2013 00:56:50 +0100

I am currently out of the office until the 12st June with limited email contact.
Please contact Angela Vega ([email protected]) for any enquiries.

>>> Melanie Leis <[email protected]> 06/04/13 00:55 >>>

Hello,

I'm having trouble with a section of my code that yields different
results each time I run it.

I start out with a dataset, baseline_4.dta, which has 47,267,047
observations and 16 variables, and run this:

merge m:m statefips agecat_census using "ABCD.dta"
assert _merge==3
drop _merge
egen tot_pop=sum(pop), by(statefips countyfips agecat_census sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpact iprcat coverage groupsize)
checkpop
rename pop oldpop
gen pop=tot_pop*prob_agecat_mpact
checkpop
collapse (sum) pop, by(statefips countyfips agecat_mpact sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpact iprcat coverage groupsize)
checkpop
sum
sort _all
save "baseline_5.dta", replace

checkpop is a program that tells me what my total population is each
time I run it. My total population is the same before and after the
collapse function (see results below).

At the end, my total population and my number of observations in
baseline_5.dta is different every time I run this. I suspect the
difference is in rounding when it executes the gen pop line, but I've
tried replacing it for

gen double pop=tot_pop*prob_agecat_mpact

and

gen float pop=tot_pop*prob_agecat_mpact

And I still get differences.

I tried using

gen long pop=tot_pop*prob_acegat_mpact

But I lost too much precision by doing this.

Could you please recommend a solution to obtain the exact same numbers
in each run, without sacrificing precision?

Thanks!

Melanie

The log file for 2 of the runs I've done:

************* RUN A ***********************

. merge m:m statefips agecat_census using "ABCD.dta"

    Result                           # of obs.
    not matched                             0
    matched                        47,267,047  (_merge==3)

. assert _merge==3

. drop _merge

. egen tot_pop=sum(pop), by(statefips countyfips agecat_census sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpac
> t iprcat coverage groupsize)

. checkpop

Total pop:       347,095,179
Observations:     47,267,047
Missing:                   0

. rename pop oldpop

. gen pop=tot_pop*prob_agecat_mpact

. checkpop

Total pop:       332,455,972
Observations:     47,267,047
Missing:                   0

. collapse (sum) pop, by(statefips countyfips agecat_mpact sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpact ip
> rcat coverage groupsize)

. checkpop

Total pop:       332,455,972
Observations:     36,351,520
Missing:                   0

************** RUN B *************
. merge m:m statefips agecat_census using "ABCD.dta"

    Result                           # of obs.
    not matched                             0
    matched                        47,267,047  (_merge==3)

. assert _merge==3

. drop _merge

. egen tot_pop=sum(pop), by(statefips countyfips agecat_census sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpac
> t iprcat coverage groupsize)

. checkpop

Total pop:       347,095,179
Observations:     47,267,047
Missing:                   0

. rename pop oldpop

. gen pop=tot_pop*prob_agecat_mpact

. checkpop

Total pop:       332,455,928
Observations:     47,267,047
Missing:                   0

. collapse (sum) pop, by(statefips countyfips agecat_mpact sexcat
racecat iprcat_mpact ip
> rcat coverage groupsize)

. checkpop

Total pop:       332,455,928