Re: st: Fwd: Multicollinearity

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fwd: Multicollinearity
Date   Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:30:29 -0400

It seems excessive to talk about "multicollinearity" when
"collinearity" is already general enough.

Whether collinearity is a problem depends on how serious it is and on
the particular variables involved.  Pairwise correlations may not
provide enough information if the collinearity relation involves more
than two variables.  One can get at the details by using the
regression coefficient variance decomposition developed by David
Belsley and described in the book by Belsley, Kuh, and Welsch (1980).
The implementation in the user-written command -coldiag2- (from SSC,
as I recall) is useful.

David Hoaglin

Belsley D.A., Kuh E., Welsch R.E. (1980). Regression Diagnostics.
John Wiley & Sons.