Re: st: Quantile vs Quartile regression

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Quantile vs Quartile regression
Date   Wed, 29 May 2013 05:57:41 +0100

In addition to David's fundamental point, the means of the four
-xtile- classes you produced should be at  cumulative probabilities
.125 .375 .625 .875 in a uniform distribution with no predictors and
somewhere else otherwise. There is no reason to suppose that they
would ever match your chosen quantiles for -sqreg-. I think this is
the point Prakash Singh is making in  a different way. (I set aside
the small distortions associated with tied values in practice.)