Re: st: Avoiding use of Mata external variables in large programs

Subject   Re: st: Avoiding use of Mata external variables in large programs
Date   Tue, 7 May 2013 18:57:52 -0400

Dear Mike,
I see similarity to the way svy commands are implemented in Stata:

prog MyStataProg
    sysuse auto
   <some Stata commands>
   svyset[pw=weight]
   <some more Stata stuff>
    svy: mean price // which uses settings remembered in svyset
end

SVY stores the settings among the dataset characteristics. Type -char
list- before and after svyset to see what it adds. These are the
_dta[_svy_*] settings. Note that the manufacturer (StataCorp) doesn't
give you any warning when there is a collision at svy. Apparently the
user should not use "_"-prefixed chars, the use of which is reserved
for programmers. This is a reasonable assumption and is safe "almost
always" :)

If this is not suitable, there are other alternatives, but then I need
more info, how much of those settings you need to save? how much
performance matters? how much security matters? (are you protecting
data from accidental collisions? protecting something from the
user?etc)

Best, Sergiy