Re: st: Time-series operators and -outreg-

From   John Luke Gallup <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Time-series operators and -outreg-
Date   Thu, 2 May 2013 16:37:40 -0700

Jeremy,

I understand that it would be convenient for you if I translated the -l.-, -d.-, -f.-, and -s.- operators into English when choosing the -varlabels- option in -outreg- IF I translated them into exactly the phrases that you had in mind.

My experience creating successive versions of -outreg- is that when I format all the elements of the table in exactly the way I like them, it is often different from how other people like them.  My reaction has been to format everything that people are likely to agree upon, and provide the flexibility for users to customize everything when they do not like my choices.

Converting all the time series varlist operators (or all the factor variable operators) into some form of English would take a lot of programming work (even if it is pretty easy conceptually) because I would need to cover all the possible combinations. This includes operators like "ld2ls12d.gnp" as well as "l(1/4).gnp".   I am reluctant to do this work because I am not convinced most people would be satisfied with the phrases I come up with, and in fact it is rather easy for users to tweak the variable labels on their own, in the ways I suggested in a previous reply.

John