Re: Re: st: Time-series operators and -outreg-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: Time-series operators and -outreg-
Date   Thu, 2 May 2013 18:23:18 +0100

I think the difficulty is two-fold with these modified labels. You
are, I think, right in guessing that the programming is not inherently
difficult, but that is not the issue.

First, what if the label is already at its limiting length? Then you
can't add to it. That's not fatal, because you could prepend and
truncate the rest, and a Stata program could always print a variable
label, and then some more text,

but but but

Second, in virtually all these tables the designer is always wrestling
with length. Users almost always want to squeeze and squeeze more and
more in. (Stars too, on which there are varying views.) It seems that
users always want to add text or results and also get irritated when
any stuff is abbreviated. Only the other day someone was complaining
about variable name abbreviations.

John will have deeper comments, but I suspect a first answer is
largely, "You can have that if you want, but you won't much like the
results."

Some large fraction of folk tales hinge on someone being punished by
being given what they ask for....