st: foreign language symbols not recognized in string variables

From   Audinga Baltrunaite <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: foreign language symbols not recognized in string variables
Date   Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:45:31 -0400

Hello,
I am importing data from a .CSV file to Stata using an "insheet"
command. The data set contains several string variables in Lithuanian
language (it uses an extended version of a Latin alphabet). Even
though "Lithuanian" letters are viewed correctly in a .CVS file, Stata
substitutes them with other symbols (specials symbols, combinations of
a few letters, etc). Moreover, even when I manually input the correct
letters from the keyboard using the Data Editor, changes are not saved
- the old symbol is deleted, but the new symbol does not appear.

The only solution I have in mind now is to eliminate Lithuanian
letters from the .CSV file transforming them into (more or less)
equivalent English ones. Since some words may loose their sense, it is
far from an ideal one.

Has anybody encountered similar problems? Any solutions?

Thanks a lot!
Best,
Audinga