Re: st: ladder question for right-skewed variable

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ladder question for right-skewed variable
Date   Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:44:58 -0400

Gabriel,

The ratio of the largest value to the smallest value is quite large,
so a transformation is likely to be useful.  As a first step ("first
aid"), I suggest that you try the logarithm (base 10).

Usually the context of the data plays a role in the choice of a
transformation, so that the result is meaningful.  What is the nature
of disp_2000?

With 1010 observations you should check whether the data has some
structure (e.g., two or more modes or groups), for example, by making
a histogram with a sizable number of bins (say 25 or so).  If you find
structure, you will need to deal with that also.

David Hoaglin