st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type

From   Steven Young <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: survey answers imported from google, checkbox type
Date   Thu, 18 Apr 2013 00:29:17 -0700

So I have a survey with answers imported from Google.

One of the questions asks "Which have you heard of" and lists 4 items below
in a checkbox fashion (tick all that you know).

Google aggregated the data into one cell, so a person (each row) may answer
"a, b, d", a second may answer "a, b, c" and a third may answer "a, d".
Unfortunately each of these answers are quite long... not as short as a, b,
c, d. I also cannot change how Google "aggregates" this data into one cell.

Now the issue I have is that when it's imported to stata, it will list in
one cell, each of the selected items, separated by comma.

How do I go about making a "do" file that will go through this and find out
what each person answered, ie make sub-columns of answer choice a, b, c, d,
and then assigning a value of 1 to each column that the person answered?

For instance if Joe answered a, b, d, then his answer columsn will be 1, 1,
0, 1.

Thanks and please email me if I need to be more clear.

Steven