Re: st: How to calculate kurtosis on left tail and right tail separately?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How to calculate kurtosis on left tail and right tail separately?
Date   Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:16:16 +0100

Quite what do you mean by the kurtosis of each tail?

Kurtosis is a quantity defined for an entire distribution; you _could_
calculate kurtosis conditionally for e.g. (values > mean) and (values
< mean) but the results won't be comparable with kurtosis for the
entire distribution.

You could also mirror each tail by its reflection, e.g. the left half
and itself reflected is

cond(value > mean, value - mean, mean - value)

and conversely for the right half you could get

cond(value < mean, value - mean, mean - value)

Note that now you are now calculating kurtosis for about 13 values,
doubled up, not a good idea, as previously commented.