RE: st: ordered logistic integration problems

From   "Bontempo, Daniel E" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ordered logistic integration problems
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:28:23 +0000

Thanks Richard. I follow about the difficulty of thresholds between sparse categories, or even when some categories are not at all levels of the IV's.

I do lack insight into why "ologit" quickly picked thresholds and gave results, while gllamm and gologit2 seemed unable to pick thresholds. I am going to avoid thresholds and use the glm with link(logit) family(binomial) as suggested in another reply, but it would be great to have more insight into why ologit had no apparent problem and gologit2 failed - even when I used the parallel assumption, and they were both estimating the same model.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: ordered logistic integration problems

I second Richard. The message probably comes from the difficulty of identifying the threshold parameters for the categories with the fewest observations, especially if they interact in some odd ways with the random effects and/or variance parameters. For as much as you
(understandably) hate to run this as a linear model, this may be a better option, as the prior work did. Or, at the other extreme, create a dummy "less than 100%", which will only have 10% non-trivial values.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name