Re: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:56:53 -0400

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> I grew up, as it were, on box plots, including David's own writings 30
> or more years ago, but I think they are oversold in total.

Yes, boxplots are really great in many circumstances, but they have
some built in assumptions, such as unimodality of the distribution,
and in general perform poorly when you have a light-tailed
distribution. I doubt that's the case here, but with only two groups
it's possible to do a lot more.