Re: st: passing argument(s) to Mata constructors

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: passing argument(s) to Mata constructors
Date   Wed, 27 Feb 2013 05:03:21 -0600

On Feb 26, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Phil Schumm wrote:
> I'd like to pass arguments to a constructor (i.e., new() method) in Mata, but can't seem to figure out how.  Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so, how to do it?  I looked through the official code distributed with Stata, the documentation, and the Statalist archives, but couldn't seem to find anything on this issue -- if I missed it, a pointer to the relevant code/literature/post(s) would be much appreciated.

Ok, evidently I didn't read the documentation carefully enough (or simply forgot).  In fact, it appears to be unambiguous on this point ([M-2] class):

    Function new() must be declared to be void and must take no arguments.

and my attempts to find some undocumented functionality here were unsuccessful.  Thus, it appears that passing arguments during class instance creation is not possible.

-- Phil