Re: st: STATA error r(603) File could not be opened - Dropbox

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: STATA error r(603) File could not be opened - Dropbox
Date   Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:55:45 -0500

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM, David Fredericks
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The problem clearly seems to be that the file is being used when it is
>  to be saved (no problems occur running line by line).  One suggested
> solution was using - - "sleep 2000" to delay the save command.  I
> found that by pausing the sync to Dropbox via the (very slow) internet
> solved the problem (so far). Dropbox has this option I dont know about
> other applications.

I've run into sync creating some interesting issues when dealing with
large files in another application and it's possible I had similar
issues with Stata but didn't realize it when doing some MI work a few
years back. I'd suggest that, as much as it's a pain to have to sync
by copying, that you do all your work locally and then save backups.

Folks working with similar situations, such as in audio or video
editing applications, are often told to turn off extraneous drains to
improve performance. For instance, turning off Bluetooth or wireless
really saves on system resources. Given that audio or video editing is
essentially just a big computational and memory resource hog, Stata
performance will probably likewise be improved.