Re: st: Need help with combing observations by using by: command along with subscripting

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Need help with combing observations by using by: command along with subscripting
Date   Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:26:27 +0000

The context is apparently that observations for each distinct person
occur in pairs.

If so, this is a general trick:

bysort PATIENTno : replace whatever = whatever[3 - _n] if missing(whatever)

If that looks a bit odd, let us just run through the possibilities.

If whatever[1] is missing, you want to copy whatever[2]. (If
whatever[2] is missing too, no harm done.)

If whatever[2] is missing, you want to copy whatever[1]. (If
whatever[1] is missing too, no harm done.)

-whatever- can be numeric or string: same code applies.

The rule [3 - _n] ties these cases together. If _n is 1 then 3 - _n is
2 and vice versa.

If it looked odd a few lines ago, it now seems all too obvious.

Note also that -- as in Rebecca's careful code -- you should only
overwrite _missing_ values, otherwise you can propagate missings and
lose what you have.

Now let's go back to the assumption that observations occur in pairs.
If that is not true, this trick may mess things up. But it is painless
to add at the
end

& _N == 2

bysort PATIENTno : replace whatever = whatever[3 - _n] if
missing(whatever) & _N == 2

That way we insist on this being done only for pairs of observations.

I find this trick to be slightly but pleasantly amusing when it is the
solution, perhaps because it hinges on Stata's treatment of _n and _N
and so is a very small insider's joke.

Nick