Re: st: Need help with combing observations by using by: command along with subscripting

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Need help with combing observations by using by: command along with subscripting
Date   Wed, 6 Feb 2013 11:44:40 -0600

Mike,
The way you have specified the -bysort- currently, Stata is looking
within the patient and date of birth for multiple records. You just
want it to look within patient only.

bys PATIENTno (dtbirth): replace medicalrecordnumber =
medicalrecordnumber[1] if missing(medicalrecordnumber)

The underlying assumption is that an MRN will always be present when
the DOB is present. If not, you might be better off creating a look-up
table of MRNs and using -merge- to update your missing values.

preserve
keep PATIENTno medicalrecordnumber
keep if !missing(medicalrecordnumber)
duplicates drop
tempfile mrn
save `"`mrn'"'
restore
merge m:1 PATIENTno using `"`mrn'"', update

* warning: code not tested

Cheers,
Rebecca