RE: st: conditional merging

From   "Ben Hoen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: conditional merging
Date   Wed, 7 Nov 2012 10:37:37 -0500

Thanks Nick.

I am not sure there is a standard way that these "condition" values trend
over time across the whole dataset, and therefore interpolating them might
not be appropriate.  Moreover, for each home, there might not be many data
points.  Finally, the values that are allowable for condition are discreet
(non-continuous), and therefore would complicate a linear, cubic, cubic
spline process (though, of course that could be dealt with by using .=int(x)
).  Would the interpolation allow me to take into account all of these
characteristics?

For, in part, this reason, I was hoping to find some way to execute a
"conditional merge" (again, my words).  Additionally, the process of
learning how one might do it with this "condition" data, could be applied to
extracting other characteristic data that are also only present sporadically
across time (e.g., size of the home) but that also might periodically change
(e.g., the home might be added to).

Is there a way to use if/then statements in a merge process?

Ben

Ben Hoen
LBNL
Office: 845-758-1896