Re: st: -save- a varlist

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -save- a varlist
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:06:41 -0400

Nice idea, but the legalese says no copy stored locally, which seems to leave little wiggle room.

On 10/30/2012 10:57 AM, Maarten Buis wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Jeph Herrin wrote:
  * per Austin's question, I can derive variables and save those
     locally; I have many types of nested units, so generally I am
     creating summary values for these different units (eg, patients,
     physicians, hospitals) and want to save them out in separate files
     for each type of unit. and there are some original variables (that I
     didn't create) which I can also save locally because there is no
     identifying data.

If I understand you correctly, you have sensitive data where
individuals can be identified, and for legal/contractual/ethical
reasons you cannot store that data locally on your computer. At the
same time having such a local copy would speed up some of your
computations.

Maybe using -tempfile- would provide a reasonable compromise. That
would allow you to store the datafile locally, but only for as long as
your .do file runs.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis