Re: st: ordered logistic regression with endogenous variable

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ordered logistic regression with endogenous variable
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:24:35 -0500

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Justina Fischer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Whether or not effect size is meaningful depends on the research question; I am sure your supervisor will agree with me on that statement.
> In many of my publications on happiness (LFS), observing an effect or not was the most important question, whereas magnitude played only a minor role for the referees.

I find it hard to imagine a situation in the context of applied
research with real data where effect sizes would not be important. If
the importance of inspecting effect sizes (and related stuff like the
form of the effect etc.) would depend on a research question, then
perhaps there is something wrong with the research question itself.
You can always find 'significant' effects which are meaningless in
practice. It is probably also problematic to focus on what reviewers
may or may not want to see. Such issues are discussed in this
interesting article from Gerd Gigerenzer:

http://library.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/ft/gg/GG_Mindless_2004.pdf

Joerg