Re: st: Stata agent string for net install

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata agent string for net install
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 06:49:47 +0500

I assume this is the IP where from the Stata connects the server.

Although not exactly aware of, I can understand only because all IP
addresses are meant to identify the location of the user on the
internet and each user gets a unique IP and the structure of IP are
usually as it is visible. So this may be the case that Stata connects
with the information on IP to identify the location of the users.

I hope this explains somehow.
Anees

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Brendan Halpin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know what the four numbers in the agent string
> that Stata sends when making a HTTP connection to do a -net install-?
>
> That is, when you do a -net install- Stata identifies itself as a
> browser to the web server. Older versions may simply say "Stata/9.2
> (Windows)" but more recent ones give more info, e.g.:
>
> Stata/IC 11.1 (418.11.1.687) on Windows NT 5.0
>
> What does the 418.11.1.687 mean (I've made up the numbers here in case
> they actually reveal information about people)? Is it unique to the
> Stata installation? Can I use it, for instance, to enumerate unique
> downloads (better than using IP addresses)?
>
> Brendan
> --
> Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
> Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147
> mailto:[email protected]    ULSociology on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/fjIK9t
> http://teaching.sociology.ul.ie/bhalpin/wordpress         twitter:@ULSociology

Best
Muhammad Anees
Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Attock 43600, Pakistan
http://www.aneconomist.com