Re: st: Column vector into variable, accounting for -marksample-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Column vector into variable, accounting for -marksample-
Date   Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:37:39 +0100

Good. In fact, the device of creating an observation number variable
is unnecessary:

marksample `touse'
replace `touse' = -`touse'
sort `touse', stable

Note that logical negation is not exactly equivalent. Although

marksample `touse'
replace `touse' = !`touse'
sort `touse', stable

produces the same -sort- of pertinent observations to the first so
many in the data, you wuold have to remember to negate all your
logical selections -- unless you could reverse the negation after
-sort-ing, however.