Re: st: xtmelogit: comparing models

Subject   Re: st: xtmelogit: comparing models
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 15:37:50 -0500

I think you would be better off with Wald test that you've outlined.
Likelihood ratio test has a better finite sample performance,  but
only when the model is correctly specified. Information criteria are
kind of goofy, given that you have different amount of information
(effective sample sizes) for different parameters in mixed models. The
FAQ you cited is somewhat related: your data are not i.i.d., so
appropriate likelihood ratio testing can get complicated. Wald test is
more robust, and only requires the vce matrix to be correctly
estimated (which is much easier to achieve).

You would need to figure out which levels of your factor variables
were indeed estimated, depending on how exactly the factor variables
were broken down into the baselines. Your -test- command does seem
about right, provided that these are indeed the right levels of group
and condition.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at