RE: st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis

From   "MacLennan, Graeme" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:33:28 +0100

Steve, many thanks for this comprehensive advice.  The failure is failure of knee prosthesis defined by a revision of the original operation.  As this is in the UK secondary care setting your point on interval censoring is very pertinent. I shall consult with my surgical colleagues on waiting times for these types of operations and use to create sensible intervals. (I might even be able to infer this from respondents that trigger failure on questionnaire and then go on to have revision operation).

Many thanks again,
Regards.
Graeme.

The following commands can take mixture of interval censoring and uncensored data( the proper term for what you are calling "continuous").
-intreg-
-intcens- (SSD)
-stpm- (SSC)

They work, because each assumes a parametric model. For parametric models, the likelihood contributions of different types of observations
(uncensored, left-censored, right-censored, interval-censored, late
entry) are well-defined. The likelihood analysis of parametric models is
covered in every text, and you can find some good ones in the Stata
Manual references to -streg-.

The lag between the actual failure event and hospital detection means
that the hospital events are interval-censored. To ignore the lag, you
must have strong evidence that it is "short". A better approach, still
more "exact" in comparison to questionnaire-based detections, is to treat
the hospital-based admissions as interval censored, but with interval lower
endpoints based on theory or on empirical knowledge.

Another issue: if failure is associated with hospitalization,
then the hospital-detected events are a biased sample of all events.

Steve