Re: st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis

Subject   Re: st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis
Date   Thu, 4 Oct 2012 16:57:50 -0400

The following commands can take mixture of interval censoring and uncensored
data( the proper term for what you are calling "continuous").
-intreg-
-intcens- (SSD)
-stpm- (SSC)

They work, because each assumes a parametric model. For parametric models, the likelihood contributions of different types of observations
(uncensored, left-censored, right-censored, interval-censored, late
entry) are well-defined. The likelihood analysis of parametric models is
covered in every text, and you can find some good ones in the Stata
Manual references to -streg-.

The lag between the actual failure event and hospital detection means
that the hospital events are interval-censored. To ignore the lag, you
must have strong evidence that it is "short". A better approach, still
more "exact" in comparison to questionnaire-based detections, is to treat
the hospital-based admissions as interval censored, but with interval lower
endpoints based on theory or on empirical knowledge.

Another issue: if failure is associated with hospitalization,
then the hospital-detected events are a biased sample of all events.

Steve