Re: st: Adding a variable to a panel dataset

From   Jason Hecht <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adding a variable to a panel dataset
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2012 00:39:41 -0400

Chris -

A point of clarification:

In the example that you provided, it appears that the "wpid" file has
as many obs. as the "employee" file.

My problem is that I have 7 different country dummy variables that
identify where the individual firm is located.  However, I want to
create a single variable that will have the unemployment rate (from
1998 to 2008) mapped into each firm's panel.

So let's say my "wpid" is called "unrate" (a text file) which will
have 11 lines and 14 columns arrayed as:

1998  China 8.9  Fra  6.4 . . . US  5.4
1999  China 8.3  Fra  5.8 . . . US  4.5
.              .              .      .            .     .
.              .              .      .            .     .
.              .              .      .            .     .
2008 China 7.2   Fra  8.2. . .  US   7.5

where the above variables would be named as "year" "China" "RUNCChn"
"Fra" RUNCFra" .... "US" "RUNCUS"

Now I would need to merge the above dataset with my analagous
"employee" dataset which has 155,386 firm-year panel observations
(firm id #'s go from 1 to 14,126 and year (1998-2008) is a variable.

I'm not sure if your FAQ example would work because I need to merge
unempoyment rates for seven different countries into the firm-level
panels.

I'm sorry if I am misinterpreting the FAQ example.  I'm relatively new
to STATA and am learning how to use the programming commands.

Kindly advise and thanks so very much for your help.

Jason