Re: st: Missingness

To   [email protected], "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Missingness
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:20:19 -0500

At 02:42 AM 8/28/2012, Brendan Churchill wrote:
Dear Statalist Users

I am using some ordinal variables, which have some numeric missing values, in a multilevel model. In some previous research, I have seen researchers include a 'Missing' independent variable in their model to account for some of the 'missingness' - or rather to control for the missing values, but I don't quite understand how to do it in Stata or even if that's a good way to do it. I've tried to make a binary variable in which the missing values are coded 1 and the rest of the values are coded 0 but the model rejects this because it's collinear.

Is this how you do it? Or is there a variable for the entire data set that is created to account for all missing variables?

In his green Sage book, "Missing Data", Paul Allison explains why this is usually (albeit not always) a bad idea. I briefly summarize the argument on pp. 4-5 of

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/xsoc63993/l12.pdf

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]