Re: st: xml_tab, then xmluse, not working

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: xml_tab, then xmluse, not working
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2012 02:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

Nick, ok, I do get your point now. I just explored -estout- and -outreg- a bit, and it looks like I need to give them a yet closer examination to see how they can work for my purpose, but they do seem promising, especially -estout-.

Thanks,
Hewan

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: st: xml_tab, then xmluse, not working

It's the same point. -xmluse- is for saving and using datasets in XML
format, which is much more specific than writing or reading any file
that is readable by XML. After all,  consider this analogy: Stata can
read certain datasets that are readable by MS Word or MS Excel, but
that doesn't mean that arbitrary Word-readable or Excel-readable
documents are readable as Stata datasets.

I can't advise further on how to use spreadsheets for your problem,
not least because I would always seek a Stata solution if I had your
problem. I imagine that fans of -estout- (SSC) or -outreg- (SSC) might
have more specific advice.

Nick

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Hewan Belay <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Isn't xmluse supposed to be able to read .xml files, as per the description for xmluse? I did verify that the file that xml_tab creates is in fact there in the folder, is an xml file as opposed to another format, and opens normally (i.e. is not corrupted or anything).
> I also tried other options, e.g. saving the estimates in xls or xlsx, and then calling them up as xls(x) files. To call up xlsx files (i.e. to do what xmluse is supposed to do for xml files), -import- works very fine. However, I am not aware of commands that save as xls(x), ie of commands that are the xls(x) version of what xml_tab is for xml.
>
> Hewan

*
*   For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?searchhttp://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faqhttp://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/