RE: st: Sampling for proportion: characteristic of interest

From   "Ilian, Henry (ACS)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Sampling for proportion: characteristic of interest
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:11:17 -0400

Stas, thank you.

The question was: when you need to specify a proportion to calculate a sample size, the proportion is of a characteristic of interest, but when you have several characteristics of interest, all of which are important, how do you specify the proportion.

Your answer would suggest that if there are yes/no questions on the instrument, then I need to specify 50% and therefore use a larger sample size. When you say you specify 10%-20% for Likert/multinomial scales, what percentage do you use for the calculation?

Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 2:58 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Sampling for proportion: characteristic of interest

What exactly is your question here? You have not really stated what do
you want to determine. You don't seem to have much of a design/sample
size issue here, if you are set on sampling a known number of cases.

When I write study precision and power sections, I usually specify
several levels of incidence -- e.g., 10%, 20% and 50%. The 50% would
be relevant for the Yes/No answers on your instrument; the 10%-20%
would be relevant for your Likert/multinomial scales.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at