RE: st: Statistically significant difference in R Squared

From   "Jacobs, David" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Statistically significant difference in R Squared
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:36:44 +0000

Seems like you could use a version of the Chow test, which in time-series analyses is based on period interactions.

For example, how about creating a dummy coded "1" for one period and "0" for the other and then creating interactions with your explanatory variables and this dummy?  Perhaps, I'm wrong about the relevance of this test to the question, but if these period interactions are statistically significant you then would have grounds for concluding that the relationships at issue differ by period.

Anyway if you can succeed in explaining coups with economic variables, that would be interesting.

Dave Jacobs

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Aniruddha Rajan
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:18 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Statistically significant difference in R Squared

Thanks for your response Anees. In this case I don't think it is possible to look at information criteria or other forms of model comparison as the empirical representation of the underlying model does not change - it is fixed by theory. Hence the change I am attempting to find a way to examine is the model fit in this period versus last period.

Regards,
Ani