Re: st: Time Series Operators and monthly returns after collapse

From   "Daniel Brodback" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Time Series Operators and monthly returns after collapse
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:53:38 +0200

Scott,

thank you for your reply!
Exactly, I am asking whether it is the (average) 6month return or 1month return. I do understand that I generate the mean of the returns.

In your example, the resulting collapsed return is just the average of the 6 month returns. (at least I think so, please correct me if I should be wrong)
In my analysis, I observe a larger timeframe and have numerous returns (1 for every month, collapsed as in your example) and want to perform a regression analysis on them. But in order to do that, I need to have monthly returns(*). If I understood the time series operators and -collapse- correctly, I need to divide the collapsed log-returns by 6 in order to receive the monthly returns. Is this assumption right?
As mentioned in my initial post I got confused after rethinking my code.
Apologies for my ignorance, but I'm quite new to Stata and wasn't aware of the time series operators before.

Thanks,
Daniel

(*): Just for completeness, here is what I am trying to do: I rank stocks based on their prior 6m return and then invest for the subsequent 6m(this is the collapse part). Too see whether this strategy might be beneficial, one has to perform a regression analysis including monthly strategy and market returns.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------