re: RE: st: propensity matching and matched pair analysis

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: RE: st: propensity matching and matched pair analysis
Date   Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:34:36 -0700

Claude,

If I understand you correctly, reviewers suggested that you use statistics
based on 1:1 matching and apply it when you, in fact, are using a 1:2
approach? I don't want to get in an argument with reviewers (unless it's my
own paper), but there is no literature supporting that argument.

This excerpt from page 13 in Stuart, 2010, (reference below) describes the
issue perfectly.:

5.1 After k : 1 Matching

When each treated individual has received k matches, the outcome analysis
proceeds using the matched samples, as if those samples had been generated
through randomization. There is debate about whether the analysis needs to
account for the matched pair nature of the data (Austin, 2007). However,
there are at least two reasons why it is not necessary to account for the
matched pairs (Schafer and Kang, 2008; Stuart, 2008). First, conditioning on
the variables that were used in the matching process (such as through a
regression model) is sufficient. Second, propensity score matching, in fact,
does not guarantee that the individual pairs will be well-matched on the
full set of covariates, only that groups of individuals with similar
propensity scores will have similar covariate distributions. Thus, it is
more common to simply pool all the matches into matched treated and control
groups and run analyses using the groups as a whole, rather than using the
individual matched pairs.

If you (or the reviewers) still insist that you non-parametric statistics
must be used here, I suggest you consider -somersd- (a complete statistical
suite for non-parametric statistics written by Roger Newson and found on
ssc).

For example, a simple command after you've preprocessed your data with
matching would be:

somersd treatment outcome, tr(z)

If you want to account for the groupings of the data you could use the
weights generated in psmatch2 that account for the number of controls for
each treated (in the case of 1:2 matching, treated units will equal 1 and
each control will equal 0.5).

somersd treatment outcome [pw=_weight], tr(z)

This is a simple case I am providing. -somersd- in fact allows for much more
control of the data than this. For example you can cluster and stratify,
etc....

Most importantly, you will not need to rearrange your data into a different
format than it already is.

Ariel

REFERENCE: Elizabeth A. Stuart. Matching Methods for Causal Inference: A
Review and a Look Forward. Statistical Science  2010, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1-21