Re: st: extracting substrings from string, with irregular patterns

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: extracting substrings from string, with irregular patterns
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:40:23 +0100

Here is a sketch of an approach (look, no regex). No code has been
tested by computer or anybody reading it.

The -city- comes after the last comma so reverse the string to make it easier

gen city = reverse(station)
replace city = substr(city, 1, strpos(city, ","))
replace city = reverse(city)

Now blank out -city-

replace station = subinstr(station, city, "", .)

Now zap the initial comma in -city-

replace city = substr(city, 2, .)

Now let's try the name.

gen name = "Petrobas" if substr(lower(station), 1, 8) == "petrobas"
replace name = "Copec" if substr(lower(station), 1, 5) == "copec"

You are going to need to add similar statements.

Once you have non-empty -name- on all observations, you can remove it
from your main variable to leave the address as the residue.

Nick