RE: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity

From   "Whelan, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:08:36 +0100

As I said, it is obvious why there are no predictions. I was looking
for practical advice since the data contains non-randomly missing.

Estimating models with and without the missing data sounds sensible.

Thanks,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Austin Nichols
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:48 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity

Paul Whelan <[email protected]>:
It should be obvious why you get no predictions when there are missing
data; more practically, simply estimate 2 (or more) models to leave
out variables with missing data, then -replace- the -predict-ed values
that are missing with nonmissing predictions from a more restricted
model (excluding variables with missings). This approach also allows
you to compare the quality of predictions in and out of sample for
different models.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Whelan, Paul
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have some advice re: the below? All countries were included in the estimation,
> just that at the prediction stage in there happens to be missing data on the right hand
> side then stata gives me no forecast?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

This e-mail originated from the Internet and has been scanned for known viruses by the Messagelabs SkyScan Service.

This e-mail is intended for the addressee(s) named above and any other use is prohibited. It may contain confidential information. If you  received this e-mail in error please contact the sender by return e-mail.

The Bank of England does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message if it has reached you via the Internet, as Internet communications are not secure. Any opinions expressed are those of the
author and are not necessarily endorsed by the Bank of England.

Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks to this message .

This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses by the Messagelabs SkyScan Service.