RE: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity

From   "Whelan, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:55:32 +0100

Sure - I guess that is obvious.

Thanks,
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Panel Regression with missing x for one entity

*************************
This email has reached the Bank via the Internet or an external network
*************************
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Whelan, Paul wrote:
>> I'm running a panel regression with a cross-section of countries:
>
> y_it = c_it + beta_1 x_1 + ... + beta_n x_n + eps_it
>
> For one of my countries , a particular x is completely missing.
> The estimation works fine but I cannot produce predictions for this particular entity.

You (through Stata) create the prediction by just filling in the
equation you gave above. A missing value just mean you don't know the
value. What would be the outcome of: beta_1*"an unknown value"? Stata
correctly answers: "an unknown value".

Hope this helps,
Maarten

---------------------------------
Maarten L. Buis
WZB
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin
Germany

http://www.maartenbuis.nl

This e-mail originated from the Internet and has been scanned for known viruses by the Messagelabs SkyScan Service.

This e-mail is intended for the addressee(s) named above and any other use is prohibited. It may contain confidential information. If you  received this e-mail in error please contact the sender by return e-mail.

The Bank of England does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message if it has reached you via the Internet, as Internet communications are not secure. Any opinions expressed are those of the
author and are not necessarily endorsed by the Bank of England.

Recipients are advised to apply their own virus checks to this message .

This e-mail has been scanned for known viruses by the Messagelabs SkyScan Service.