Re: st: replace and strpos

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: replace and strpos
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:29:37 +0100

As this is an international list, an appropriate reference is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcodes_in_the_United_Kingdom

(Usually, parochialism bites in reverse by members assuming that what
is clear in California or true in Texas must be so elsewhere.)

You can reduce your problems considerably by insisting that

... if strpos(postcode, "NW1") == 1

... if strpos(postcode, "W1") == 1

which is going to be true for these cases. Make sure that you -trim()-
strings of leading spaces.

You can avoid overwriting by insisting that only empty values are -replace-d.

replace borough  = "Westminster" if borough == "" & strpos(postcode, "W1") == 1

Nick